Friday, January 17, 2014

Twittequette Tips

by Jemi Fraser

I remember joining Twitter a few years ago and being completely overwhelmed. I've seen/heard/read a lot of questions popping up here and there regarding Twittequette lately so I thought I'd tackle that today.

Twittequette Tips for Interacting with Agents & Editors
  • Is it okay to follow agents and editors on Twitter or do I need an invite?
    • Absolutely okay to follow them!
  • Is it okay to talk to agents and editors on Twitter?
    • Yes, but don't be pushy. Start small - retweet what appeals to you, answer questions they ask. Personally I suggest doing a lot more lurking and learning than interacting.
  • Is it okay to ask agents and editors business questions on Twitter?
    • Not usually. If there's an #askagent #askyaagent or similar chat going on, go ahead, but don't be a pest at other times.
  • Can I pitch agents and editors on Twitter?
    • NO!!! Absolutely not.
    • Unless it's a contest, then check out the rules and feel free to participate.

Twittequette Tips for Self Promotion
  • Is it okay to promote my book?
    • Yes.
  • I sense a BUT... coming, what is it?
    • But... don't do it very often.
    • A standard tip I've seen is to have at LEAST 5 tweets (10 is probably better) about something and/or someone else in between your tweets about you.
    • Don't promote every review you receive but when something genuinely excites you go ahead and post it! (Need I repeat... not too often.)
  • If all you talk about is you and your books, you'll soon be talking to yourself.
General Twittequette
  • Follow people because you're interested in them ... NOT because of what they can do for you.
  • DON'T unfollow people shortly after you've followed them to inflate your numbers. Nobody really cares about numbers and this makes you look like a dweeb.
  • Listen to Mrs. Rabbit. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
    • having said that it's OK to be funny and snarky ... just don't aim at a person. I follow some hilarious people who are incredibly snarky but they're never mean. If you don't know the difference, err on the side of caution.
  • Be yourself and relax. Twitter is all about fun and connections.

Any Twittequette tips to add? Any questions to ask of our knowledgeable readers?

Jemi Fraser is an aspiring author of contemporary romance. She blogs and tweets while searching for those HEAs.

15 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great tips, Jemi. I'm new on Twitter so they are really helpful.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You don't want to look like a dweeb!
When someone follows me who has a small number he follows but a huge following, I usually don't follow back. Because when I do, a week later when I check whounfollowedme.com, he's unfollowed me.

JeffO said...

When I get on twitter (IF I get on twitter), I'll remember this. And I'd point out that a lot of these are appropriate for any social media, as well.

Jemi Fraser said...

Natalie - glad I could help!!

Alex - no dweebs for sure! I check those unfollowers sometimes too :)

Jeff - I bet! Social media sites probably have a lot of the same issues :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Jemi. I see so many things go wrong on Twitter, but these are great tips.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Smart Twitter tips. Why do some people just endlessly promote their books?

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Great tips, Jemi!

Mel Kinnel (@TizMellyMel) said...

Jemi, these are great tips. I must say, it's truly annoying when a writer only promotes their work and never ever tweets anything else. Usually, if that happens, I mute their tweets or simply unfollow them.

Jemi Fraser said...

Medeia - thanks! There are a few folks who just can't seem to get it right.

Diane - exactly! That's NOT the way to go about it :)

Elizabeth - thank you!

Mel - thanks! I haven't figured out how to mute their tweets yet but I should look into that :)

SC Author said...

Fantastic tips and all so useful! Thanks!

Jemi Fraser said...

SC - you're welcome - glad I could help! :)

Kelly Polark said...

Great tips, Jemi! And I would say for every 10 tweets or more for something other than your book is good. Most do this, but there are a few I unfollowed because it was strictly promotion. I do sincerely want to find out what my twitter friends have bookwise or blogwise so I don't miss it, but this can be done without only tweeting promotional tweets.

Jemi Fraser said...

Kelly - I totally agree! I like hearing fun and exciting news from my buddies - but I like to hear the other stuff too :)

Julie Musil said...

Jemi, these are such great tips! I'd add don't talk politics or religion, unless that's what you're on Twitter for. And don't rant. I'll unfollow ranters right away.

Jemi Fraser said...

Julie - great additions! Ranters can drive me nuts too - thanks! :)