Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Writing Without a Safety Net

by Matt Sinclair

In our busy lives, it's often hard to maintain a routine. I'm a creature of routine, yet I am often guilty of letting even important tasks fall through a crack.

For me, a simple approach is often best: a list of tasks to do for a day and perhaps another for the week ahead and just the weekend. Bullet points riddle my life:

  • Edit 10 pages of manuscript
  • Finish article
  • Write 500 words on new manuscript
Those types of things sound like work. Not only am I not necessarily getting paid for all of them, they are in addition to what my day-to-day job entails.

A single minor catastrophe -- a sick child, an unscheduled meeting, a flat tire -- can quickly put the kibosh on writing time.

Are you a creature of routine? How do you rejigger your schedule when the real world interrupts your fictional ones?

Matt Sinclair, a New York City-based journalist and fiction writer, is also president and chief elephant officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, which is hours away from publishing Battery Brothers, a YA novel by Steven Carman about a pair of brothers playing high school baseball and about overcoming crippling adversity. Matt also blogs at the Elephant's Bookshelf and is on Twitter @elephantguy68.

3 comments:

JeffO said...

I'm in the process of trying to reconfigure my routine now--it's not easy!

Matt Sinclair said...

Thanks, Jeff. I agree. In some ways, trying to fit in writing is like living paycheck to paycheck.

LD Masterson said...

It's an ongoing juggling act. If you figure it, let me know.