Thursday, September 10, 2015

Twittequette Tips Part 2

by Jemi Fraser

Last year, I posted some Twittequette Tips (Etiquette on Twitter). If you're new to Twitter, you might want to check some of these out, especially if you're considering interacting with agents/publishers.

Today's rant topic is DMs. DMs are Direct Messages, private conversations between 2 Tweeps.

If we've only just met (meaning you followed me, and I followed you back), there's probably no need for us to have a private conversation yet. Let's get to know each other first!

I've had plenty of DM conversations with people I know well on Twitter, but for the most part (for me at least), Twitter is about having fun and making connections with other people, and most of those conversations can be carried on in public. DMs are a great way to warn Tweeps when their Email accounts have sent me spam, to ask/send email addresses, along with other more obvious uses.

(Warning: Personal Pet Peeve Rant Ahead)

If we've just met, please don't send me a DM and:

  • ask me to buy your book or other product
  • link me to where to buy your book or other product 
  • ask me to give you money through a fundraising link
  • ask me to like your FB page

If you met someone in a coffee shop, on the street, or at a friend's house, would your first sentence to them, your first conversation, be to ask them to buy your stuff???? I sincerely hope not!

Don't do it on Social Media either.

I've bought dozens of books written by friends I've met through social media, probably well over a hundred by now. NOT ONCE have I bought a book by someone asking me to do so via a DM.

Marketing is tough. Lots of our authors here at FTWA have posted advice on that, and will continue to do so (click on the Marketing link in the sidebar!). Maybe this seems like an easy way to promote, but, for me, it has the exact opposite effect.

(Okay, rant complete)

What do you think? Are automated DMs requesting a new follower buy something okay or annoying? Have you bought anyone's book that way? Or (like me) have you unfollowed people who pester in DMs?

Jemi Fraser is an aspiring author of contemporary romance. She blogs  and tweets while searching for those HEAs.

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I get at least one Direct Message a day from a new follower. Doesn't bother me if it's some kind of author promotional service or something and they send me a thanks and can they help. But yeah, the buy my book or whatever - not going to do it.
I do have fun with the ones that ask me to Like their Facebook page though. I reply back that sorry, I'm not on Facebook. Sometimes they even answer me back...

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Automatic DMs shouldn't be allowed. They are like spam.

Sophie Perinot said...

I abhor promotional DMs. I love getting into DM conversations with people on twitter--and I don't even have to know them for a while, they can often arise from a single tweet/retweet/comment situation. But when I DM I want to interact not be pitched to

Rebecca Gomez said...

Yes! There have been times when I've followed a fellow author who followed me and within minutes I'll get a direct message from them about their book or Facebook page, etc. So annoying!

Debra Renée Byrd said...

Yeah, I definitely don't like automated DMs. I didn't even know it was possible until recently. =\

Ava Quinn said...

Amen, sista! Well said!

It's spamming. I know many people who will automatically unfollow people who do that auto DM thing. I'm tempted to take up that policy. When I do get those spam DM messages, I immediately turn off notifications for that person and delete their message. I'll never get another dm from them again.

Jemi Fraser said...

Alex - I'm not on FB yet either - hadn't thought of telling them! :)

Diane - they really are!

Sophie - couldn't have said it better!

Rebecca - exactly!

Deb - seems there's always a way to spam!

Ava - I haven't auto unfollowed yet, but I have unfollowed a few of the more persistent promo-DMers! Didn't realize you could turn off DMs, I like it!

Mason Canyon said...

I agree with you 100%. I'm not on Twitter that much, but it does surprise me to get DM from someone I've just connected with.

Nick Wilford said...

It's definitely a turn off. I think what bothers me about it is that it's an imitation of reaching out in a touchy feely way, adding a personal touch to welcome a new follower - when actually it's anything but!

Laurel Garver said...

The DMs I really, really hate are the ones that tell me they will like my page on FB if I like theirs. I doubt that very highly! Is that cynical? No, I fell for that stupid line a few times, but don't any more. Besides, "fake likes" on FB make it less likely that my real fans will see anything I post, because FB only allows a portion of followers to see any post (which is evil, and I think users should complain about it until they change the policy).

Jemi Fraser said...

Mason - yes! Once we're buddies, it's okay, but not right off the bat!

Nick - you're exactly right - it feels so fake!

Laurel - that is annoying! I haven't joined the FB brigade yet, but I'll keep that in mind when I do!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Auto DMs are incredibly annoying! They're one reason why I'm no longer automatically following people back on Twitter (now just people that I 'know' online are getting followed).

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I don't tweet, but would find the things you mentioned incredibly annoying.

Jemi Fraser said...

Elizabeth - yes, I'm much more careful about who I follow, and I still get caught!

Teresa - they really are :)

Shelley Sly said...

I get this all the time. It's so frustrating! I just ignore the messages and definitely don't click any links to buy the book or like their profile, etc. Such a shame, because I do buy many writer friends' books, but this isn't the way to get me to buy it.

Nas said...

Yes, I also get these DMs asking me to like a page or buy their books. I sort of just ignore mostly.

Jemi Fraser said...

Shelley - I feel the same! Almost anti-marketing for me!

Nas - I tend to do the same :)

DMS said...

I don't like automated DMs and normally do not respond (often I don't read them after seeing the start of the message. Great post!
~Jess