Monday, October 22, 2012

3 More Great Twitter Hashtags

by Jemi Fraser

In my last post, I talked about 3 hashtags I enjoy using on Twitter. I asked what other hashtags you were using and got some terrific suggestions!

1. #10queriesin10tweets

Sara Megibow runs this one. Sara is an agent at Nelson Literary Agency and she is fabulous! Usually on Thursdays, Sara goes through 10 queries in her slushpile and tweets the genre and whether she's passing or requesting pages. She also includes her reason for her decision. It's amazing how many people query her with genres she doesn't represent. I don't think I've ever seen her have less than 2 or 3 in the 10 - sometimes as many as 5. Crazy. Not researching agents is a waste of everyone's time!

2. #1k1hr

I hadn't heard about this one before (thanks Viklit!). I've used word sprinting hashtags during NaNo before, but I hadn't used them elsewhere. I will from now on. Word sprints are a great way to get a boost in your word count. If you haven't used them before, you send out a tweet asking if anyone wants to sprint (use the hashtag!). When someone else is sprinting with you, it's great motivation to get those words down.

3. specific chats for genres and age categories and one for self pubbers

I think these were my first introduction to chats and hashtags. They are Awesome!

#yalitchat
#kidlitchat
#mglitchat
#nalitchat
#chicklitchat

#indiechat - this one is great to meet writers who have chosen to self pub. They cover all kinds of great information and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people!

I don't know all of the writing chats (obviously!) but try a search with your genre combined with chat and see what pops up. I've learned a lot by participating in and lurking at these chats. These chats often move QUICKLY!! Using TweetChat is very helpful as it stays on the chat only. It also inserts the hashtag for you so you don't have to remember!

 I've got one more post on hashtags up my sleeve. What would you like to see on it? Do you use any of the ones I've mentioned today?

Jemi Fraser is an aspiring author of romantic mysteries. She blogs and tweets while searching for those HEAs.

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

1k1hr? Is there one for 1k1wk? That I could do!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I have participated in 1k1hr a couple times.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

These are great, Jemi! Thanks for the info. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks Jemi for the links. I'm saving some of them in case I join Twitter.

Jemi Fraser said...

Alex - I'm thinking that might be a good one! :)

Dianne - those sprints really are fun!

Elizabeth - you're very welcome - thanks for the tweet too!

Natalie - it's a fun form of social media - no pressure on twitter! :)

Jean Oram said...

This is awesome, Jemi! I see some chats I already want to get in on--and the sprint sounds like fun too! Thanks.

Unknown said...

#NALitChat FTW! :-D I'm a little biased, sorry. lol

Johanna Garth said...

I think #pubchat might be one too. I feel like I've met other writers through that one.

Jemi Fraser said...

Jean - I love the sprints during NaNo! And the chats were really how I made sense of Twitter!

EJ - that's more than okay! We're definitely allowed to be biased for our faves!! :)

Johanna - I haven't tried that one! I've seen pubtip - I'll have to check out #pubchat - thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

They're great... But I've just decided to stay off twitter until December ;)

Jemi Fraser said...

Michelle - we all have to figure out our limits for social media - it's a tough balance to find!!

SC Author said...

10queries is AWESOOOMMEEE. And I want to do 1k1hr but... I'm too scared :( I probably can sooo it, I just don't... I don't know. Feel like it ;)

Jemi Fraser said...

SC - I was really nervous to try my first sprint. In fact, I did the sprint, but didn't interact with the people - just did it privately. Silly, but it helped me be more outgoing next time! And even if you don't make it, you've still got a bunch of new words!

Totally agree about 10queries - fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I'm only familiar with the ones in 3 and I've been on the first two. I used to join those chats all the time and I miss them.

Jemi Fraser said...

Medeia - the chats really are a lot of fun! And I've learned a ton from them too! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think there's a chat for every genre.

Romance Book Haven said...

These are great ones, Jemi!

Nas

Jemi Fraser said...

Diane - I think there must be too! There are a lot of good ones. :)

Nas - thanks! I've found them useful :)

DMS said...

These are great! Now to test some of them out!

Jemi Fraser said...

Jess - have fun with them. Some of the chats have weekly time slots. They're really great!