Monday, September 16, 2013

Change is Good!

by Jemi Fraser

Due to a last minute job switch for this school year, change is on my mind. Looking back when I first started this writing journey, I had no idea how much change would be involved! I'm hoping reflecting on some of the changes I've made will help some of the newer writers out there.

Change in Time
  • I used to squeeze in writing
  • now I plan for it, even when my life is its usual crazy chaos, I plan for those 15-30 blocks so my subconscious is working for me & I'm ready to write when the time comes
Change in Balance
  • I used to worry more about my social media presence
  • now I let it happen after I'm done with writing for the day - if the writing doesn't happen, there's not much point in having a social presence to worry about!
Change in Genres
  • then I wrote a SF novel, a mystery, a YA steampunk & a MG spec fiction
  • now I'm focusing on one genre (contemporary romance)
  • I took a couple of years off from worrying about anything other than finding my voice and my niche - I wanted to find a place I could write multiple stories without ever needing to stretch for ideas
Change in Editing
  • I used to think of tweaking as editing
  • now I know I need to sometimes rip that poor first draft to shreds and rework it from the bones up
  • this has probably been the biggest change for me as it taken me a long time to believe I can really edit properly - that fear of knowing something is wrong and not knowing how to fix it doesn't freeze me up any more
Change in Letting Go
  • I used to believe that every story would have a place in the world
  • now I know it's okay that some of those stories won't (especially that first ms of about 180k!!!)
  • those stories have taught me so much and helped me grow and I'm just fine with letting them languish in my heart and on my hard drive
What Changes have you faced in your writing journey so far?

Jemi Fraser is an aspiring author of contemporary romance. She blogs and tweets while searching for those HEAs.

16 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Change from being an impatient drama queen to learning to breathe deeply and to carry on as determinedly as possible after each setback! :-)

Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Change in responsibility. I'm not just a blogger who can do whatever. I'm responsible for an Army, co-hosting the A to Z Challenge, and the leading the IWSG. I owe everyone my very best.

JeffO said...

Great stuff, Jemi. Self-awareness is very important. Sadly, I'm not sure how much I've changed in the last couple of years--I'll have to think on that!

Jemi Fraser said...

Old Kitty - can't imagine you as a drama queen! Patience is hard to learn!!

Alex - you are and you do!!!

Jeff - I've definitely learned some of my weaknesses - still working on my strengths :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ooh, I've done some of the same exact changes!! I don't worry about social media either now. My writing comes first.

Anonymous said...

Change in the vision. The reasoning and drive behind the plot of my ms changed so much from when I first started it. Never thought it would happen.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I like your thoughts on a change of balance, Jemi. You're right--the social media doesn't matter much if we're not putting books out. I think I need to rethink some balance, too.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My change in balance turned to what balance? My life has been in a constant state of chaos for years now. A routine would kill me.

Unknown said...

I can totally relate to this. Awesome post! Change can be a beautiful thing.

Nas said...

Awesome post. Change is good. As you know I faced too many changes just recently!

Jemi Fraser said...

Jennifer - that's been a big one for me too! :)

Debra - that's such an interesting one! I bet you love it even more now!! :)

Elizabeth - it's an ongoing search for balance for me. There are so many pulls in so many directions!

Diane - LOL - I like my fair share of chaos and I don't know if a steady routine would be my thing either!

Rissa - it really, really can! Thanks :)

Nas - thank you! You certainly have and you're doing it with style!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've been through these changes. Change is good, but confusing and painful at times. Things work out, though.

J.L. Campbell said...

So, do I hear you saying change is good for the writer? Yup, I think so too. I also look at change as growth, which we all go through as we become more experienced.

Jemi Fraser said...

Medeia - I think they do work themselves out too - or I hope so! :)

JL - LOL - we do - even when it's hard, change does help us grow!

Anita Saxena said...

I've learned exactly what you said about social media. If I can't find time to write what's the point in blogging. I've also learned alot about editing over the years, and how that sometimes means starting over. Great post!

Jemi Fraser said...

Anita - Thanks! I'm digging into another rewrite now so I'm glad I've learned they're okay!!